Thursday, July 28, 2011

WIP WIP WIP!

I added one of those word county bar things to the blog as I trudge along on my Ashfall WIP. Moving along at a pretty good pace now, and I'm hoping to finish the draft by the end of August. And I know, I know. 120k is long, but one thing I've learned about my writing over the years is that I draft long, and cut lots of excess words when I revise. Of course, I ended up adding a ton back in when I did my other revisions so...we'll see!

Besides, this new book is sci-fi/fantasy, and the world is quite complex. Right now, the story is shaping up from a single POV, but as things get more complex and the backstory of a number of secondary characters come into sharper focus, I'm considering adding more POVs (which was my original goal).

Which would make things longer. Of course. Good thing I'm not afraid to chop, chop, chop!

75k and counting.

6 comments:

Pandora Swift said...

Wup, wup, wup it out! Good for you!
Sharon

Eric said...

Good luck, Guppster. I usually have to add more as I go along rather than cutting. Because of that, I'd be embarrassed to put up my word count for an initial rough draft LOL.

Amanda Bonilla said...

Man, I'm SO jealous of your wordcount! I've got 2500 words into a 25k novella I need to get done, and my book 3 is just sitting in a corner. Will you come write for me? Puhleaze?

The Screaming Guppy said...

Well, I suppose I should fess up that when I started working on this WIP again in June, I did have about 50k or so that I could use from last time I worked on this project. :)

Charmaine Clancy said...

Sounds like you're really powering through it - well done!

Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

Deirdra Eden-Coppel said...

Good Luck!!! You have a fabulous blog! I’m an author and illustrator and I made some awards to give to fellow bloggers whose sites I enjoy. I want to award you the Brilliant Writer Blog Award for all the hard work you do!

Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
~Deirdra