Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Books! (January 2011 - June 2011)

So I've been seeing a lot of people give themselves reading goals for the year and I thought, since I'm reading like crazy lately, that could be fun! But I don't really have a goal in mind, but I do have quite the list of books I've read since the year started. So I'm just going to list all 42 of them here.

YA:
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Urban Fantasy:
Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire
Storm Front by Jim Butcher
Fool Moon by Jim Butcher
Grave Peril by Jim Butcher
Summer Night by Jim Butcher
Death Makes by Jim Butcher
Blood Rites by Jim Butcher
Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher
White Knight by Jim Butcher
Small Favor by Jim Butcher
Turn Coat by Jim Butcher
Changes by Jim Butcher
Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs
Iron Kisses by Patricia Briggs
Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs
Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs
River Marked by Patricia Briggs

Thriller:
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson
The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larson
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest by Stieg Larson
The Running Man by Stephen King
Deadline by Mira Grant

Historical Fiction:
People of the River by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neil Gear
People of the Earth by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neil Gear
People of the Sea by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neil Gear
Fire the Sky by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neil Gear

Fantasy:
Tales from Watership Down by Richard Adams
Cold Magic by Kate Elliot
A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
Naamah's Blessing by Jacqueline Carey

Post-apoc:
Aftertime by Sophie Littlefield
The Long Walk by Stephen King

Science Fiction:
Titan by Ben Bova
Ark by Stephen Baxter
Treason by Orson Scott Card
Darkwar by Glen Cook
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

Romance:
The Billionaire's Bridal Bid by Emily McKay


I don't read much Urban Fantasy normally, but once I got hooked into the Dresden Files at book 4, I had to finish the series. Same with the Mercy Thompson series by Patrica Briggs (though I really didn't like River Marked). It also helps that, aside from the last few Dresden books, these are very short, quick reads. Some of them I read in one day. I also read Divergent in one day, as well as Tales from Watership Down.

You'll also notice a romance novel on my list, which is the only one I've ever read. I met the author at my BONI workshop, and figured I'd give one a whirl to support her and experience the genre first hand. I'm amazed at how fast she puts out these novels (which are about 50k with a hard word count cap) and how much of the subject matter is decided by the publisher. An interesting read, but it did confirm that I, as I supsected, am not a romance reader! :)

I also started and put down some books in this time frame, which inclue Solar by Ian McEwan, The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell, Autumn bu David Moody, The Road by Cormic McCarthy, Blood Red Road by Moria Young, Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson and The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi.

Gardens of the Moon simply got pushed aside for books I was more excited to read, like the release of Naamuh's Blessing, finishing A Game of Thrones (on HBO and reading the novel afterwards) and being excited to start A Clash of Kings. I might come back to that one. The Road, The Reapers are the Angels and Blood Red Road had a writing style that simply isn't my taste. Solar was a little to "boring real life", things were moving too slow in Autumn and The Quantum Thief was just too...weird (and jumped to a new character that I didn't find interesting right when I was starting to adjust to the weirdness).

Yesterday I started A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin, and expect to be reading that series until I finish it - including A Dance of Dragons, which releases in July. Those books I will not be reading in one day, that's for damn sure.

(edit: opps, forgot a book!)

1 comment:

Hana said...

Holy cow Erin! 41 books already? You have a talent :)