Wednesday, April 6, 2011

To be applied to writing and life in general.

I saw this post (tweeted by Donald Maass - @DonMaass) and felt a resounding hell fucking yeah.

This is not the way to live your life. Jealously is indeed human nature. We've all had times where we've seen someone else's success and think, damn, I wish I was the one with {insert great thing}.

But letting it become a downward spiral like this writer? Don't. And don't think the people around you, in this case other writers, don't see you for what you are. Things like that can get pretty obvious - even on the internet.

I once had a person I thought was a friend tell me "seeing you happy makes me miserable." To be honest, I'd suspected as much for years, but the very thought - daring to think I was worth being jealous of - made me feel like a jerk so I ignored the feeling. Deep down, though, you always know the truth.

I hope we can all have success as writers. More importantly, I hope we all figure out what it actually means to be happy with the choices we make and the successes we have as writers – and in life in general.

5 comments:

beth said...

THIS

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Whoa! That was amazing. My favorite line: "There isn't a thing to eat down there in the rabbit hole of your bitterness except your own desperate heart."

Thanks for the link. Best thing I've read in awhile.

Amanda said...

Oh yeah. I feel ya. 100%

Tara Maya said...

Clear hearted advice, and timely.

Jenn Johansson said...

That is awesome. I totally agree. Great post! :)