Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Step 1: Revise. Step 2: GAMES!

As most of you know, aside from my fiction writing I also work full time for an internal communications magazine. Translation? Life is pretty busy now that revisions for HOUND have come back to me.

I’m writing the cover story for our May issue (yup, we’re always two months ahead at the magazine) which is pretty neat, but I also have an unpleasant thing happening at the office. I won’t bore you with the details, but it’s pretty crappy and stressful. Hopefully all that will clear up in the near future. Downside is things will likely get worse before they get better. At least my day job doesn’t exceed forty hours a week!

And when I’m not dealing with the thing that shall not be named, life is AWESOME. Working with Joanna is a dream, and I love all her suggestions for HOUND. Right now, I’m back on the revision horse and things are shaping up to be phenomenal. I have a good deal of work to do, but the best way to describe it is that I’m improving what I already have, and not really changing things – at least as far as the story and characters go. I’m not sure yet exactly how long this will take me, but I’m sure it won’t take too long!

Aside from HOUND, I’ve been doing a little work on HOUND’s sequel, which is what I’ll be taking to the Breakout Novel Intensive (BONI) in April. Right now, my first fifty pages are in the capable hands of a few beta readers until the end of February. Once I get that back, I’ll have to do a quick clean up and then ship it off by the first week of March. I’m really excited to go back to BONI. Writing retreats/intensives? LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them! If I can fit in one a year, I’ll be a happy writer.

Oh, and there’s of course Rift, The Sims Medieval and Dragon Age 2 to deal with. My guess is gaming will have to be under strict password protected autosave lockout timers for the next few months. Or maybe they only unlock after certain revision quotas are met?

All the more reason to get my ass moving on these revisions…I can reward myself with some EPIC nerd time when I’m done.

So I guess this pretty much means I’ll be scarce on the blog for the next few months. But I’m always here…lurking. I’ll update when I can!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Good luck on your revisions! I've found they're my favorite part of writing! Especially after agent/editor feedback. The game of the week at my house is Deadspace 2. I'm not the one playing, but damn, that game is scary!

Eric said...

LOL, good luck on the revisions. I completely understand the need for a password on the games. I haven't gotten Dragon Age 2 yet, mostly because I haven't finished the first one (and all the associated downloadable content). I have found myself distracted with Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit though. Being a cop who gets to bust racers is SO awesome!

Bryce Ellicott said...

Bioshock 2 is the current time sink. When Dragon Age 2 comes out, that will be a significant problem. But the world will essentially end when The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim hits the shelves. So I better get writing.
One Writer's Mind