Monday, November 22, 2010

Naughty Writer.

So I've hit a wall with my NaNo project. Strangely enough, it's not the plot. I see the plot, I have it mapped out and I'm happy with it. My problem is my main character.

For some reason, I cannot get in her head. I write scenes, and she feels like a different person in every single one. She keeps bouncing back and forth - does she like killing? does she regret when she does? She wants to be free (that's the for sure part) but what does she think about the rest of the world? She hates the Sesti (masters in the Ashfall/Sesti relationship) in one chapter, all of them unconditionally - then she's waffling around like she understands, but just don't want to be a slave.

And no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to pin her down. I'm pretty sure what this means is I need to spent a lot of time ironing out her character arch - time during NaNo that should be spent pumping out words, at least in theroy.

And of course, this could all be very compelling - if I was doing it ON PURPOSE. /facedesk

So, I cheated on my NaNoWriMo WIP last night. I wanted to keep putting up word counts (trying to stay in this contest for the BONI participants, which I'm fighting for with two others - really neck and neck! I could still win it /crossesfingers).

So...I wasn't just bad though, I was extra bad. I did the "big no-no" for unpublished authors.

I started working on a sequel to HOUND. That's the big no-no because if your book 1 never gets picked up, you're never going to sell book 2 - and that makes writing book 2 a waste of time.

But damn did it feel good to get inside the head of character that I know, inside and out.

So, we'll see what I work on today. I also know Kelder (from the Ala'der, my sand people book) very well, so I might go back to her.

Whatever I do, I need 50 damn good pages by the middle of Feb to make going to BONI in April again worth it.

4 comments:

Eric said...

First off, writing is never a waste of time - even if you write a book you never sell. I'm a firm believer in that. I sympathize with your troubles however. I'm working on revisions on a couple of my writings and I'm really trying to get in the head of my characters too. It's really tougher than I thought it'd be. Good luck and keep up the work on NaNo, Guppster. You'll make it.

Cheers w/ DC

Michelle Davidson Argyle said...

Aww, you're a writer! And have fun while you're not tied to contracts and stuff. Seriously, this is the time to just have fun and keep writing and do what you like. Eric is right. No writing is ever a waste of time. Good luck!

The Editor Devil said...

What if you and your character had a little sit-down and you asked why the "hold up" on information? (Remember to buy your character a lot of beer or Tequilla shots, so you loosen their tongue).

Good luck!
Christine

The Screaming Guppy said...

@Christine

Hah! I imagine their choice of booze will tell me a few things too...

:)