Saturday, November 6, 2010

20k and counting!


Day 6 of NaNoWriMo has come to a close for me and I'm at 20,880 words. Woo! According to the website, at this rate I'll finish Nov 15! Awesome...because if I can hold the pace after that, I might be able to knock out the whole draft by the end of Nov. I almost always shot for a 100k first draft.

Here are the things that are making this work for me:

  • I've accepted that I will have a shit ton of edits to do when this month is over. This helps me write without worrying about that perfect sentence or word choice right now.
  • I did a really comprehensive outline before I started. For the most part, I'm following it fairly well.
  • BUT when the scene or characters want to run a little off my intended track, I let it happen. I've come up with some cool ideas this way and it all really boils down to my first bullet - if it doesn't end up working, I can just cut it or rewrite in draft 2.
  • I'm a competitive person and having friends doing NaNoWriMo with me helps me stay motivated. I love seeing awesome word counts from my buddies! It's inspiring! And it makes me want to put up the highest numbers I can.
How's everyone else do this NaNoWriMo? :)

5 comments:

WindyA said...

Bravo to you! Holy cow, that's a fantastical word count you've got! It's good too, that you realize the amount of editing you may have to do. I'm not doing Nano this year, but I am working on finishing up a wip's first draft and I like to remind myself that this first draft is really just word vomit. You may know what's going to happen overall, but sometimes, things go off the tracks and that's totally okay.

Keep up the wordage!

Eric said...

Dang girl, you kickin' butt. Keep it going; even though you have revisions afterwards, it puts you that much closer to having an awesome final draft.

Feywriter said...

Your progress boggles me. I think my fingers would fall off. My goal is to get past the 10k mark tomorrow.

Having support and challenges from friends has been awesome. Go go Nano!

Bryce Ellicott said...

The Nano goes well, I always enjoy it. I'm glad to see the count for participating writers is so high this year. And BTW I have a blogging award for you over on my blog.
One Writer's Mind
http://www.onewritersmind.blogspot.com

The Screaming Guppy said...

Thanks for the support guys! :)