Monday, November 29, 2010

10k in a day, 2 days left of NaNoWriMo

I put up over 10k words yesterday. Ugh. My netbook attached to my hip, and if I wasn't at my computer, I was on the couch hammering away. All. Day. Long.

I did get to watch something like six movies between Thursday and Sunday, and watch Erik get about 2/3 of the way through his birthday present.

Two days left in NaNoWriMo and I'm trying to stay in the running for a nice prize. Needless to say, putting up 10k took a ton of work - and it put me over 94k so far for the month of November.

That being said, things aren't really working out exactly like I planned. My goal was to get a full draft of Ashfall by the end of the month, but after I crossed the 60k mark, I decided to put it down. I was having trouble getting my main character ironed down - the kind of trouble that is going to end in rewriting instead of revising. I decided instead of writing words for the sake of words, words that I knew I was going to have to trash, it was time to switch gears.

I started working on a sequel to HOUND, which is up to about 29k. I'm loving it, though I'm not sure how far I'll run with this until I know if HOUND has a chance in the wide world of publishing.

I also cracked out the opening scene of an idea I call "The Finding" and wrote a new scene in my Ala'der novel, which puts me up to my current total.

I still need to make a choice, however, and soon. In April, I'm going to the Breakout Novel Intensive again, and that means I need to have 50 pages in tip top shiny shape come the end of February or so.

But for now I have two more days with my head back, my fingers typing, and my ass hurting from sitting so damn much.

5 comments:

scott g.f.bailey said...

When I saw on facebook that you had 10K+ for yesterday, I assumed it was a typo, that you either meant a bit over 1K for the day, or a bit over 100K for the total MS. But a 10K day? You are both crazy and teh roxor.

Eric said...

Scott is so right. You've got such dedication and perseverance during NaNo, it's amazing. Nice job, Guppster.

ali said...

That's some impressive wordage!

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who can watch TV and write at the same time, lol! Last weekend I pushed to write the last 8K on my novel and I did it in one sitting, the last 5K or so while watching Hannibal, lol.

And my novel was a MG Fantasy! ROFL

Probably not the best soundtrack to such a novel, but ... oh well!

Congrats on all your accomplishments!

The Screaming Guppy said...

Thanks guys!

Though I think I've tapped out now. I got about 5k yesterday and then...just couldn't write another damn word. LOL.

After today, it will nice to move away from the break neck pace for a bit.

Michelle Davidson Argyle said...

Oh, good luck! Your progress with everything is amazing!!!