Friday, July 16, 2010

Revisions! Come on now. Did you really expect something else? ;)

I think I'm due for another revision update for my manuscript, HOUND IN BLOOD AND BLACK.

Last update I had hit the half way point, chapter 17 out of what I'm guessing will end at 33 chapters.

Right now, I have various chapters spread out over my "revision folder system."

It looks like this:

0 - Rough Draft
This is where I cut a chapter out of my complete document (from before this draft started) and give it its own word doc. Then, I turn on track changes and GO ALL MACHETE ON ITS ASS.

1 - Major Revisions Done, Needs Minor Edits
After I finish machete-ing (verb, ftw), I accept the changes and print it out. I edit once on paper, then put the changes in. When that's done, it goes to the next folder...

2 - To be read by text reader
...and the chapter sits here until I listen to it via a text reader called NaturalReader. I pause and correct typos/mistakes/weird wording/anything else I notice as I go. And when that is done...

3 - Read by text reader - DONE!
IT GOES IN THE DONE BUCKET. YESSSS! And then I shut the folder, and refuse to look at it again. If I think of anything to change or add, I make notes for myself on paper when I go back for my house cleaning draft. I call this done, because unless something goes insanely wrong, I feel confident this is going to be my last major draft. I know I'll need one final pass for tweaking, but if its in here, I'm pretty much finished with it.


Right now I have six chapters spread over folders 0-2. Chapters 18, 19 & 20 are waiting for a text read. Chapters 21 & 22 are waiting for me to input my paper changes, then they will be moved on. I have chapter 23 started, which includes writing a new scene that I'm about halfway done.

So. We has progress.

I've also spent a good deal of time working with my writing group on pitching, which I will be doing in a week (insert sound of panic here). Good news is I've gotten my story down to a manageable length. Bad news? I SCARED!

7 comments:

Tara Maya said...

Revisions. Yummy. Nom nom nom.

Michelle Davidson Argyle said...

Progress makes me happy! Keep going!

Eric said...

Awwww, don't be scared Guppster. You been puttin' in the time on this thing. It'll be ready to rock and roll soon 'nuff.

Cheers w/ DC

Weronika Janczuk said...

You have an intriguing revision process. NICE. I like it. :)

Do keep us updated! And September - I think you said? - sounds like such a manageable goal.

The Screaming Guppy said...

Yes, Sept. is my current target.

I think I can...I think I can...I think I can...

Foxinsoxx said...

Good Luck! I actually really like editing my work. From one girl gamer writer to another, I wish you luck!

The Screaming Guppy said...

Hey! Thanks fellow animal nicknamed writer/gamer. :) Heh!