Monday, November 2, 2009

NaNo...

...ReVisMo?

I've decided not to do NaNoWriMo this year, being that I'm finishing edits on HOUND and hope to start querying after my workshop this weekend (unless Donald Maass tells me I need to rewrite my entire book, in which case we will have lots of cheese to go with an huge amount of whining.) I'm also working on my new WIP for the PFC class, but I don't really want to rush it. I'm enjoying a more relaxed pace that comes with the class, and still putting out a fair amount of writing - up to 18k-ish so far.

So, good luck to everyone doing NaNo this year! My advice?

  • Have fun!
  • Write extra words on the days you're on a roll. Don't stop just because you hit the magic number. You'll thank yourself when you have a crappy day and don't get any writing done.
  • Let yourself have a crappy day if you need it. One day of no writing doesn't mean you've failed. Don't get discouraged, and don't feel like you have to give up your whole life for this.
  • Get one of the neat spreadsheets from the NaNo site - it helps! It's awesome to see the little graph fill up with your progress.
  • Find the time and after November is over, remember how EASY it is to write 1,666 words a day. You can always make time for that.
  • Play around on the forums. I hooked up with my first critique group for HOUND from the forums.
  • Forgive yourself typos, plot holes and other unpleasantness. After all, this is a first draft and we all know first drafts aren't perfect. (I've now reached a full year since I started HOUND, and I'm still putting some final tweaks on it.)
  • That me say that again: this is a first draft. It is NOT okay to query December 1st. Please see every agent blog under the sun for proof.

For those of us not doing NaNo, the Intern is posting a series called NaNoReVisMo and offering up some great advice for those pesky revisions. For those of you doing NaNo, bookmark it for some December reading. :)

5 comments:

ElanaJ said...

Ooh, great link. Because after writing always comes revising.

Eric said...

Great post Guppster, and well said. I actually did alot of what you are talking about yesterday, such as not paying attention to the word count. By forgetting that portion, I finished an entire chapter. Good luck on your revisions, and hope to hear that Hound is on it's way to publication soon.

Cheers w/ DC

Oh, and keep the posts coming about your class. It is really interesting and useful.

Crimey said...

I'm not doing Nano either, like you I'm enjoying a slow, relaxed pace with my current WIP. It's working for me so far.

The Screaming Guppy said...

Thanks Eric! I'm glad to hear that people are enjoying those posts.

@Crimey: I like both, and was seriously considering doing NaNo this year. But it was just too much, I really need to get HOUND to query before I dive completely into another project. And glad your WIP is coming along.

M. Dunham said...

Revisemo is definitely me right now.

El o el first drafts amirite?