Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sending shorts and editing longs

Yesterday marked the great occasion of me sucking it up and get my butt to work.

First, I finished working on my short story Percival and sent it in to the Shine antho (which closes for submissions August 1). Nothing like waiting until the almost last minute, eh?

Second, I started the fun task of revising and editing Hound. I got my line edit back last week, and am happy to report that things look good. Here's hoping I don't screw it all up in the process of refining my sentences.

I've entered the phase of aiming for perfection,and hoping to land somewhere in the realm of very, very good. Still trying to trim some of the lingering fat, as well as looking at each sentence in careful detail (again) and trying to see if I can make it better (again). I'm also working closely with a beta reader on a sentence by sentence level - a favor I plan to repay when they're ready to have their manuscript picked at. You know who you are. ;)

Yesterday I tackled two chapters, which was more than I expected. My lenient goal was five pages a day, with the dangling carrot of starting my fun new WIP idea called Ala'der. I was surprised to find myself excited to continue and willing to hold off on new writing in favor of working on more revisions. A good sign, I hope, and something I really hope will stick.

What did I accomplish?
  • streamlined the action in chapter 1
  • cleaned up sentences that could be better in both chapters 1 and 2
  • cut five paragraphs at the end of the first part of chapter 1 that included a POV shift and extra info that the story could live without
  • killed one of my babies - a sentence that I adored, but not one of ALL the people who have read it understood the point I was trying to make. I've be resisting cutting it since the first draft, but finally caved. I fail - well, I did fail. Now I, uh, unfailed?
  • added some inner monologue in both chapter 1 and chapter 2, with the hopes that it will pull the reader closer to the MC sooner. (My IM amount increases as the story goes on, but was almost nonexistent in the first part of the manuscript)

That about sums it up.

A long road left, but at least for now I'm excited again about my project. That's a great feeling.

6 comments:

Eric said...

Sounds like you have gotten alot done. That alone is something to be proud of. Keep at it, I'm so looking forward to seeing your name on a hardback :)

Danyelle said...

Good job on progress. :) Luck with the edits!

M. Dunham said...

Oh yes, kill those darlings. Even as we sob while we do it. Eh? ;)

<3 Think oh svelete and sexy the finished product will look. I too am learning how joyful revisions are. You look at a trimmer, hotter book and you're like. "Wow."

(I almost typed "Woe", which I guess means I got some mother/father issues to work out. Hah!)

christinefonseca said...

Lots of great progress! Nice.

ElanaJ said...

Congratulations! You've done a ton of work. And killing a baby, too? My hat is off to you. :)

beth said...

Wow--you are doing so well! Great work!