Monday, July 27, 2009

Revisions, going strong.

I made some good headway on Hound over the last week.

Did more cleaning on chapter 1 and 2, and I think they're good enough for the time being - as in, I need to keep moving forward instead of mowing the same spot on the lawn over and over again.

As for chapters 3-5, things have been a mix of house cleaning and character development. As most people who've been following this blog for a while know, when I made my original outline I planned to kill a specific character at the end of part 1 of the manuscript (chapter 8). When the time came for the death of said character, I changed my mind and killed someone else.

The move was brilliant - the death had greater meaning, more impact, more drama. And altered my entire outline for the better. Problem was, I never went BACKWARDS to accommodate for this change. I never went back to provide the "why this disposable character is now important enough to stick around" and put in the why the now dead person is super important and the loss a poignant one. Sure, I talked about the dead person tons in the rest of the book - but I never made sure the readers would give a shit that said person WHEN they got pwned to deadness.

Duh. And the makings of my most awesomest breakthrough moment for revisions so far.

So, let's see what I've done for chapters 3-5.
  • Made cuts in chapter 3 of some unneeded "flavor text" to keep the pace moving.
  • Overall cleaning up on chapter 3 - reworking sentences.
  • In chapter 4 I spent a good deal of time addressing my "breakthrough" issues. Added two dialogue exchanges and some IM for Kumari to flesh out both of the characters who needed fleshing out.
  • The rest of chapter 4 was house cleaning again - working hard to streamline my action in an important fight scene that takes place in this chapter.
  • I marked a paragraph of chapter 4 that needs to either be cut or moved to a place where it fits better. Still undecided as to if the information is important enough to keep.
  • Chapter 5 was almost completely house cleaning - no major issues.
  • Marked one spot to look at revising further - basically, am I making their life sound too good?

I still need to go back over chapters 3-5 to make sure I didn't miss anything, and that I'm happy with all my sentences (for now). I'm halfway through chapter 6, but that will have to wait until my next post.

4 comments:

Eric said...

Sounds like you're in DC overdrive. Good work :)

beth said...

I'm in the throes of major revisions, too--just finished rewriting the first hundred pages!

Danyelle said...

Good for you! Keep up the good work. :D

Lady Glamis said...

You know I'm always here to cheer you on! So go go go go! Despite the dumb comma drama. :D