Friday, July 31, 2009

More progress and incoming vacation

My good friend Nick coming in for a visit this weekend, so I'll be taking a break from revising/editing/blogging world for a few days.

However, before I go, here's an editing update:

Part I (chapters 1-8)
  • Revision "1" (as in first pass for this draft on the word doc in comments (which actually involved about three passes over everything)) is done. I've accepted all changes in the word doc.
  • Printed the pages and got through around chapter five making revision 2 on paper.
  • Put in the changes for chapter 1 (and made a few more changes) and half of chapter 2.
Chapter 1 is done. DONE. I'm really happy with it. For the first time, I feel confident that this chapter is ready. Like, agent ready. I compared it to my old document (pre-first editor changes and about my third draft) and really, truly see an amazing improvement. The action is fluid, description is balanced, characters are solid and the hook is strong.

I could pick at this forever. I would say this is about the 12th draft of this chapter (at least)? Some were drafts minor edits, other drafts were cutting sections of text and/or rewriting passages. But I feel like this is it - for chapter 1.

Small victories. They're important. :)

Chapter 2, watch out!

7 comments:

scott g.f. bailey said...

Woo-hoo, you! Well done. This is a major victory, Erin, not a small one. Don't you forget it. Keep doing good work.

For my part, my first chapter is like a disassembled machine that lies in parts on a workbench, waiting for me to fabricate some new bits and put it back together. I'm worried that it won't run when reassembled, but I always feel that way at this stage.

Weronika said...

I'm glad to hear that you've made this progress, Erin, and I look forward to hearing more as you move forward. It is, indeed, a very significant victory. :)

Enjoy your time with Nick this weekend -- I hope it's a good one.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Huge victory! Congratulations and enjoy your time off for a bit of fun. Chapter 2 will get your refreshed eye and, next thing you know, you'll check that off, too.

beth said...

Yay!

Ironically, I feel that way about Chapter 2...but Chapter 1 is still not done.

Glad you got that taken care of, though!

Eric said...

Woohoo. Nice job. As Scott said, this is a major victory and one you should be proud of. Keep at it girl, soon enough you'll be staring at your work in hardcover.

Cheers w/ DC

Sara Tribble said...

Awesome! I admire how much time and effort you truly put in to it before querying, it's great. Chapter 2 won't even know what's coming!

Have lots of fun from the writing world, it's odd to live without LOL!

Lady Glamis said...

Erin, good luck! And as Scott says, it's a big achievement! Have fun with your friend. :D