Friday, June 19, 2009

Practicing at the Waiting Game

So I've been a bit absent on the blog world lately, I know. Partly due to the fact that company was visiting, but also because I just needed a break from all of it; blogging, editing, reading about writing and query letters and critiquing and so on.

In most cases, I can't be without writing for any length of time. That being said, I'm seriously enjoying this break. I've been writing little, just not as aggressively as I was before June 1st and sending HOUND back for the line edit. I wrote one chapter of the Dark Book and did a few rereads and surface edits, and wrote a new short about a kid name Percival. I still have to rework the ending, but then I'll be pretty close to submitting this one. I have until the end of the month.

Also, I've been slowing writing a short titled "Subtle" - an account of the events surrounding my grandmother's funeral. Its non-fiction-ish. This piece is going to take a long time to write I think. Every time I work on it I do a few paragraphs, then shelf it for a few days. I feel like it needs a special kind of attention. It's different, that's for sure. I'm not creating, I'm retelling a story so crazy it might seem like fiction. Plus it's all literary and stuff. A challenge on all fronts let's say. I don't know what I might do with it when I finish. It might be just for me, maybe just for the family. Maybe I'll look for a place to shop it. We'll see.

Aside from limited writing and a vacation, I've been waiting. Waiting for the editor to start on HOUND (was supposed to happen the first week of June, and she still hasn't started. Me = getting annoyed). Waiting at work on a lot of different projects that require stuff from lots of different people. I'm also waiting on something else I can't really talk about. Don't worry, nothing bad and nothing to do with an agent or being published. All I will say is that if it works out it will be awesome, and if not, nothing will be lost. And I'm waiting for my $80 worth of books to come in from Amazon.com.

I also started "dieting" this week, in as much as cutting out snacks and trying to eat moderately healthy, walking more and maybe even getting on the elliptical/coat hanger in my living room. After having to buy new pants a size bigger, my butt is most displeased with its new size of le pudgy. You will be missed, chips and cookies and chocolate. /sniff

Erik and I started a Guild Wars account last night, and so far we're having fun. Too early to have any in depth thoughts, but there are a lot of little things we both like a lot. I'm a ranger/mesmer and he's a monk/warrior. Run, little worms and lowbie quests, we're coming for you!

So, that's what's going on with the Guppy. Dead level 1 critters, short stories in progress, and waiting. Lots of waiting. But that's good right? I'll be all prepared when it's time to query with the patience and stuff.

1 comment:

Eric said...

It's about time you drop by and say hi. I was almost ready to call out the National Guard. :) Glad to see your smiling face though, sounds like despite a little time off, you're still quite busy. Oh, and I wasn't a huge fan of Guild Wars. It just paled too much in comparison to WoW. Maybe you'll have a better time though.