Friday, June 5, 2009

A new short

Who'da thunk it!

I found a new sub op online, gave it a think, and wrote a the first draft of a new short story yesterday.

It's a bit outside my normal zone. It's sci-fi (normal), but with an optimistic spin (not normal). It ended up being about a seventeen year old boy, told in first person. It ended up being quite a strange voice, at least for me, and it almost feels YA (very not normal). AND I came in low on the word count at about 6k (the max for the sub is 10k - also not normal for me).

We'll see. I need to do some editing and a little fleshing out. I have until July 1 to finish.

Here's the sub op.

And I don't have a title yet, of course.

Still hoping to finish the dark book by the end of June, but I'm enjoying a break for big projects right now.

5 comments:

Eric said...

Good luck with this Guppster. I'm still working on short story projects myself, but I'm not feeling they're ready for putting out there just yet.

Cheers /DC raised

ElanaJ said...

Cool! I need to check out submitting shorts.

Sara Tribble said...

Interesting especially since first person is not your usual thing and YA? Interesting indeed. I hope it goes well for you.

You know I do quite a bit of exploring genres myself for short stories but mine are mostly flash or do not run over 4K however last night I started writing a new horror and this one seems lengthy, so I plan to type it up today and edit thoroughly. Yeah I should get to that now lol!

Danyelle said...

*is jealous*

This looks like a great place! (If only I wrote SF)

Lady Glamis said...

You're doing great with this, Erin. But I miss your ranting and such when you're online... you need to work on something big in the near future. ;)