Thursday, April 23, 2009

Making the Office Clipboard your buddy

As threatened, this post is going to be about doing a little more with your Miscrosoft Office clipboard. Now, I have the full office suite at work and home, and these pictures are from Office 2003. I don't know if things are different in earlier and/or later versions, but I'd imagine things stay pretty simillar. Here goes.

After my fisascco with a missed cut and paste, I was franticly searching through every option I had to recover the lost words. I visited the Office Clipboard in hopes that it still had some stuff saved in it. It did not, because I had already saved out my docs and exited Word - and because I didn't have the Clipboard up while I was editing.

So if you're doing a bunch of cut/copy and pasting, this might be a helpful tool to use.

To find what I'm talking about, open your document and go File > Office Clipboard. If you don't see it right away, you might need to expand your menu list.



When you click it, it opens a side panel next, like below.


This panel will hold up to 24 cut/pastes in its history. So just proceed as normal. Highlight what you want to copy, then copy it. An abbreviated block of text will appear in your new side panel. Like below.


Here's a zoom in. And when you hit the little tab next to the text you copied, a menu pops down, like so.



The reason this is useful is because you can revisit past copies/cuts instead of being restricted to the last text you copied as the ONLY one on record. So if you make a boo-boo, you might be able to save yourself a headache by looking through the clipboard history.


There's an option panel at the bottom, which I think you can set for the clipboard to be used even when the panel isn't open. I recall people having trouble when the clipboard gets full, however, so if you want to set that as the default, I'm pretty sure you have to remember to go back in and clean it out.


I've just been opening it as I need it - when I'm copying and pasting around a lot while editing. It's like a little safety net.


As for editing, I'm finished part 1, which is eight chapters. So far, no more mishaps.

6 comments:

Litgirl01 said...

I just got a visual of office clipboard and I walking in the park, having dinner, and drinking a glass of wine together. My buddy! *sigh*

The Screaming Guppy said...

LOL!

Are you singing that song... My buddy, my buddy...wherever I go, he goes!

Windsong said...

Great job with the edits. Good luck on the rest. :D

lotusgirl said...

I'm loving your step by step tutorials. Thanks!

Litgirl01 said...

Yes...God help me...I was singing that song! I often get very vivid visuals! LOL

Lady Glamis said...

Oh, cool! Thanks for sharing this. I need this, really. Will be quite handy!