Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Cutting and pasting with care


So I had a not very fun experience the night before last. I screamed, a lot, and not in the normal context of fun.

I've taken to a new application of the Side by Side view in Word. I've been pulling out sections that need detailed editing - be it a few paragraphs or a few pages - and putting the original in one side and the editor's version (with all changes accepted) in separate, blank documents. Then, I go line by line adjusting as I see fit. When finished, I copy and paste the final back into the master document.


If you do something like this, BE CAREFUL!


I know, I know, it should go without saying, but I did an incorrect paste. By the time I realized what I had done, it was too late. All my docs were closed out and - I think because I closed all the Word docs - my Word clipboard was cleared as well. The only reason I caught it at all was because I printed the pages since I had just finished a chapter. And I was short on pages.

So I guess my lesson - a big fat duh - is to double check after every copy/cut/paste between documents. It's hard when you get on a roll to slow down, but you'll thank yourself later. In the great big scope of things, I only lost about 45 minutes of work and two pages of editing. So I have no reason to complain, really.


I think from now on I'm going to keep my clipboard open while editing. I smell another post about Word - my best friend and greatest nemesis - in the near future.

11 comments:

Windsong said...

*sympathy cookies*

That's why I love working in Scrivener. I end up doing some of the revisions in Word, though. Thanks for the warning!

beth said...

Aw! Sorry!!! I'm like Windsong--I love Scrivener!

Davin Malasarn said...

Sorry that happened to you! Yes, it's happened to me enough times that I am usually extremely careful. Well, now you know and knowing is half the battle and all that. :)

scott g.f. bailey said...

Wow, that really sucks. This is another reason why I do all my edits by hand with pen and paper. I've discovered in the past that I am prone to cut and forget to paste when I mean to move things, or to paste several times, or into the wrong chapter even. Dickens never had these issues.

Tara Maya said...

Oh, ouch. I've done dumb stuff like that.

Lady Glamis said...

Oh, gosh! I'm sorry... At least you'll be more careful now. :)

M. Dunham said...

Wingsong is my hero. I too use Scrivener!

Eric said...

Sorry to hear it. Have a double DLC on me (thats Diet Lime Coke, to the uninitiated). :)

Matt said...

I have to edit docs like this all the time at work and I find myself doing this all the time. Usually I catch it just after I make the mistake, but sometimes not so much. It can be a little maddening.

Kate Karyus Quinn said...

Oh, that sucks - I'm so sorry! It is my worst fear to forget to save and lose something that I've just written or re-written.

It's not that I couldn't re-do the work, it's just that the very thought of having to do it over makes me want to scream!

KLo said...

Ah, technology is so great when it works ...