Saturday, March 14, 2009

Title?

So my new short story draws from HOUND IN BLOOD AND BLACK/BLACK AND BLOOD. It's about where the character Heaven came from, which is a brothel of young girls. The girls are called the Dolls of Albis, and are considered a rare finery in a post-apoc world thanks to Klaret's (the matron) hard work. They wear makeup, silken clothes and are educated while the rest of the world is not and does not have these things.

I'm considering:

Silken Inferno <-- the idea of beautiful hell, and the girls also spend some time reading Dante's work.

or

Sericulture <-- this a process of making silk where the worms are killed to gather the silk.

I'm leaning toward Sericulture, but I wonder if its too vague. Which one do you guys like?

Then again, if they like the story they can ask for a title change if they don't like the title, right? Or is that only for novel publishing?

Has anyone published short fiction where they've been asked to change the title?

4 comments:

Lady Glamis said...

I have not published any short fiction where I had to change the title. Sorry!

I like Sericulture better than Silken Inferno. Silken Inferno sounds overly dramatic to me. I kind of like it... I can see it growing on me, but for now I like Sericulture better. I LOVE the idea behind it!

The Screaming Guppy said...

Thanks for the input! :)

Davin Malasarn said...

I like Sericulture too. It's a great title. I'm a staff editor for an online literary magazine and every once in awhile we ask someone to change a title. So, it happens. But, you should put your best foot forward drom the start.

The Screaming Guppy said...

Thanks for the insight Davin. Appreciate you stopping by! :)