Monday, March 9, 2009

Dark Book: Day 6, 7, 8 & Watchmen

This weekend I was a slacker.

Day 6: 1,976 words
Day 7 & 8: notta

I finished Chapter 13 and the chaos on Friday. Then I hit a wall, which resulted in no writing the rest of the weekend. I found myself unsure of where to go next. I know where I'm getting to - as in, what will happen in the next few pages - but I'm trying to figure out the connection.

So I went and saw Watchmen. A great movie can get me in a really awesome writing mood. I enjoyed the film, but it was very, very graphic, a warning to anyone considering seeing it. This is a hard R - sex, violence, blood, guts, nekkid blue man with blue penis, etc. It takes a lot to make me cringe, and there were a number of points in this movie when I winced from the sheer intensity of it all. But what I was most impressed with was the fact that the characters (most of which were male) weren't corny!

I don't know what the deal is, but 90% of male villains/dark characters in movies nowadays suck. I'm almost always disappointed by male actors in bad ass roles. Take Christian Bale for example. The Dark Knight and Batman Begins are great movies (Heath Ledger was in that awesome 10% too as the Joker, but you all knew that already), but Bale's "scary" Batman voice is made of retarded. Jackie Earle Haley, on the other hand, does the intense, growly voice the way it should be done. His character Rorshach is amazing. Never once, even with a line of dialogue could have been considered cliche and/or fall short based on the actor's inability to be just that bad-a, Haley pulls it off every single time. I think this dude is one of new favorite actors. He's not the only one either. Billy Crudup - Dr. Manhattan - is also impressive. The other three male leads are awesome as well. Whoever did the casting deserves a cookie. Or like, five dozen cookies.

Anyway, I never got back to writing the whole weekend even though I thought this movie would get me jump started. It did, however, get my mind going and last night (when I was supposed to be sleeping of course at one in the morning. Wtf brain?) I came up with the next step in my story. The foot bridge, if you will, to the next big thing.

I often have trouble with these small jumps because I refuse to write out of order. It's just the way I think. Besides, I get so excited about the big stuff, I fear that I would never be motivated to go back and finish the holes I leave behind. The important stuff that's just boring to write verses a...well, gun fight for example. That, and my characters often add small flavors to the story as I walk with them, which I fear might be lost if I jump around just because I hit a roadblock. Granted this roadblock only lasted two days. Hopefully, I don't get stuck in the bottom of a canyon any time soon.

2 comments:

Litgirl01 said...

I have a really hard time with violent movies. I wish I didn't...it's hard to find dates sometimes. LOL I rented Vicky Christina Barcelona this weekend and I thought it was a brilliant story/ movie.

I have hit a wall too with my wip. I have done this in the past and I find that waiting it out is the best thing for me.

Hmmm...maybe read or watch something that will inspire you?

The Screaming Guppy said...

Aw, good luck with your wall. I find a good movie in the same genre works well for me. If all else fails, get a bulldozer! :D