Monday, March 16, 2009

Dark Book: Day 13, 14 & 15, ABNA, Short Stories, Prequels, etc, etc, etc

Day 13: 0 words
Day 14: 1,682 words
Day 15 0 words


Well that's a little sad, but at the same time, more wonderful than the word count suggests. As I posted Saturday, I have left chapter 16 behind me. Longest time it's taken me to write a single chapter for this book yet.

I got some awesome news Sunday night too. My short story SAVAGE, published by Permuted Press in Monstrous: 20 Tales of Giant Creature Terror, has been selected to serve as promotional material for the anthology on this website. Now, if that's not made of sexy, I'm not sure what is!

So Erik and I went out for a celebration dinner (corny, I know, but what is life without enjoying the little things?) and while we were waiting for our food I called my mom to share the good news. She's been staying with my grandmother (who, sadly, is struggling with terminal illness) for the last week. I was hoping some good news for a change might make her night better. It did, and then we went on to talk about how grandma was doing. Good some days, bad others, but my mother shared something with me that brought me to tears in the same moment it immersed me in a wonderful feeling of happiness. As it stands, my grandmother is bedridden and has a a hospice nurse coming in every day to help monitor her condition and make her comfortable. Thanks to mom and Aunt Alice, along with support of other family that live in the area, grandma is able to spend her last days at home with her family instead of being forced to go to a nursing home. What my mom told me Sunday night was that the these nurses change often, and every time a new nurse comes to take care of my grandmother she asks them to take out the anthology her granddaughter was published in, and has them read her my short story aloud again. For me, this adds something really special to this piece of fiction, even beyond it being my first published work.

So after some tears, some souvlaki and some Diet Coke, we went home and watched some TV before bed.

This means I had caffeine within two hours of trying to sleep, which is NEVER a good thing.

I read ENDER'S GAME and am now in the middle of ENDER'S SHADOW, both of which are from the perspective of children. Awesome books, both of them, and I picked up the rest of the series to continue with my sci-fi binge. The reason I mention this is because I think it relates to what happened next.

I started thinking about the prequel to the Dark Book. Or, if I don't like the end result of my newest WIP, it might become "book 1" so to speak, meaning the first one I would query with set in this world. Equipped with caffeine, hyperness from good news, and creative energy sparks, sleep was evasive to say the least. I'm not sure how long I was up, but my mind wrote the first few chapters of my "prequel" and decided a few things about how I might structure the book - as in, including tidbits from other characters via journals and military reports, and debating with the idea of having this novel be in 1st person instead of 3rd.

Can you do that? Can you write one book in a series in 1st person, and the others in 3rd? Hmm...I supposed anything is possible if you have a good reason.

And since I was up late considering all these wonderful things, I also hit up ABNA at midnight to see if the quater-finalists are up yet. I am total geek. An excitable geek, which makes everything worse.

AND I'm still trying to make a final call on the title of my short story so I can send it off today to Triangulation: Dark Glass. I got two awesome rejection letters from the editors, so I'm going to try one more shot at it before the deadline closes on March 21st.

I think that's it?

Oh, and it sucks to get new twitter followers when you're watching your inbox like a hawk. I get an automated updates for new follows, so...yeah. Heh.

3 comments:

Litgirl01 said...

Go guppy go! Go guppy go! I'm a regular cheerleader. :-D

Lady Glamis said...

Congrats on the publication!!! And I'm jealous of the souvlaki. And my birthday's on the 21st, the day of your deadline. :)

The Screaming Guppy said...

I like having a cheerleader. :D

And the souvlaki at this little restuarant in Issaquah, WA? To DIE for!