Friday, March 6, 2009

Books: Helix and upcoming releases



I finished Helix last night. I bought it Monday with three other sci-fi novels - I figured if I was shifting veins in my writing it might be a good idea to do the same to my reading.


This was an enjoyable read for me. I read it in four days, since I've taken up reading on my lunch breaks, and was hooked the whole time. I think he has a really good example of a strong opening chapter (though the excerpt on the link is not the start of the book, just fyi). My only small complaint was the abrupt ending. I get the idea of mystery and such, the whole giving the reader the freedom to imagine what the future will bring, but I think I would have enjoyed being told a little more of the story first. Otherwise, thumbs up! After I finish the other three books I bought, I might check out some of Eric Brown's other work. Of course, this only works if I read really fast. The next few months are bringing some big book releases (at least for me!).


Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey <-- This cover is so kick ass! I can has?

Namuh's Kiss by Jacqueline Carey

God of Clocks by Alan Campbell

Fall of Thanes by Brian Ruckley

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson


But for now, next on my reading list is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

No comments: