Thursday, February 19, 2009

Chronicles of the Calamitous Kitchen: Catching up


Since I did a time warp about the V-Day weekend cooking extravaganza, I figured I should just catch up on the rest of the mess I created in the week before. This way I'll be blogging about current events, instead of the yesterday's leftovers.


Kung Pao Chicken

The first lesson I learned during this cooking session is red chili peppers will try to kill you, even before you're ready to eat them. No joke. I was cutting them open and de-seeding them over the sink (Erik was standing by doing dishes) and we both started choking on the spice. Maybe it was the oil from the pepper getting airborne? I don't know. Erik had a sore throat for the rest of the night, and I was coughing the entire time I was cooking them.

Oh, this is me deep frying cashews and stir frying the chicken. I have to say, I was surprised that the nuts takes different after they were cooked like that. Nice touch.


And the finished product! Since there were no chili pepper seeds in this, it wasn't too terribly spicy. Turned out pretty good. And I need a bigger wok.
Guppy Cooking Tip #12: Don't inhale.

The Mystery Dessert


This is a cherry pastry thing. Um...I don't remember what it was called and I don't feel like looking it up right now. It was kind of made of fail.
First, I started having paranoia that I didn't have enough batter for the pan - rather, that my pan was too big for the recipe. So I made a double batch, which was completely unnecessary. One batch was plenty. My batter judgement is just flawed.


And I made a mess, but that's par for the course.




Here's the finished thing. Well, it looks okay, right? I don't know if I didn't cook it long enough or what. It wasn't getting firm, it was just gooey in the middle, so I kept cooking it. And as soon as I set it on the counter to cool, it deflated completely. Maybe it was supposed to? I really couldn't tell you. When we ate it though, it was a very semi-sweet for a dessert, kind of more like a coffee cake or something. Not on the top ten list.
Guppy Cooking Tip #13: WTF is your problem, cake-pie-thing!?!

Zucchini Fritata


Slap another one down in the not so good category. Basicly, it was like eatting a big egg. Not enough cheese, barely enough veggies, and the seasoning was completely bland. Even with the heavy cream the recipe called for, this was just not exciting at all.
Guppy Cooking Tip #14: Eggs with heavy cream still taste like eggs.
Guppy Cooking Tip #15: When it says add cheese, repeat this step at least two more times. Just to be sure, you know, you have enough cheese.





No comments: