Monday, November 17, 2008

NaNoWriMo: Days 14, 15 & 16

Saturday marked the halfway point for NaNoWriMo month, and I can happily report that I am ahead of schedule. Woo! 35,004 words and counting.

Day 14 - I've discovered my two biggest hurdles in writing I think - having a bad day at work and having too much spare time on the weekends. Out of the two, bad day at work as so far been worse for my writing than slacking on the weekends. Friday sucked, resulting in a less than stellar word count of 1,498.

Day 15 & 16 - Over the weekend I faced my smaller nemesis, which is basically slacking off to play video games, or do whatever else I could be doing besides writing. While it ended with me putting it off (I wrote at night both days, right before bed) I still managed to get my word counts both days, banking 1,845 and 2,018.

Overall, what I'm hoping will come of all this is a new found dedication to my writing, which I've always had in my heart but never in practical application. On a good day, where I'm writing something exciting or just find a groove and go with it, I can put in 1,800 to 2,000ish words in just an hour. One hour! I have now firmly decided that there is no longer room for excuses. I don't care what else is going on in my life, there will never again be no time for an hour, at least, of writing a day. As for a bad day at work? Well, they're going to happen. I've just got to try and make myself get something done when they do.

Eventually, writing will become editing, rewriting, etc. But the truth remains the same. I have many, many hours for many, many things in every day. One of them should always be available to work towards my dream. One of them will always be available.

Besides, I've already set a new goal to continue on after NaNoWriMo ends. Amazon.com is having their second Breakthrough Author contest, which ends with three people getting publishing contracts with Penguin. The entries start on February 2, 2009, and they cap after a certain amount of submission are received. Which means I need a synopsis and a finished, polished manuscript by January 31st.

Time to get this dream out of idle and on the road, for real.

No comments: