Wednesday, November 5, 2008

NaNoWriMo: Day 4 Retrospective

I ended Day 4 with around 3,600 words for the day. Didn't quite make it to 5k again, but yesterday was still my second most productive day so far.

Here's hoping the very-uninspiring-by-intending-to-be-inspiring meeting I have at 11 doesn't murder my mojo for the afternoon.

What I do find interesting is that I've already broken 12k words (12,274 to be exact) in four days. I was working on my "dark book" for at least three months and I'm only at 26,000 words or so. It took me over two and a half years to finish my first completed manuscript draft, which was about 208,000 words. Granted, I did a lot of editing and rereading while I was working on those projects, but it's kind of refreshing to realize that I can produce pages this quickly when I bunker down and fight the distractions writers face every day; the million reasons not to write regardless of their relevance.

Oh, and I have a confession to make. I reread chapter one yesterday, after I hit my 3,600 words. On the up side, I didn't edit or rewrite - with the exception of fixing a few glaring typos that caught my eye. I found myself having a bit of a wandering mind, concerned if I was writing the story I set out to do. I confirmed that I'm on the right writing track, even if my main character Kumari is stretching her wings in a slightly different direction that I originally expected.

I also confirmed that I'm going to have a lot of cleaning up to do come December.

No comments: