Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Excerpt from Madness : II

Next post for discussion on the Aspiring to Madness blog was: How do you pick names for your characters?

Here's how the process works for me, at least some of the time:

For me, varies.

Some characters decide what they want to be called. In other words, some smoke seeps out of my ears and suddenly, I just knowed it.

Sometimes I use an English-Latin or other translator to try and find some neat words to use or start from. Other times, playing with a dictionary/thesaurus can yield some cool results.

Other times, I just start with a letter. I just get a feeling that a character or place should start with, say, a w. From there, I just play around until I get something that looks pretty. And how do you say Wegexght? Well…is that really important? I normally don’t think so, and half the time I find out later I’ve most likely been saying my own characters’ names wrong. But, I can just pull rank and say well, damnit I made it up and it can sound however I want it to!

Also, I tend to keep a document of cool words I come across. In case you don't have it, you can subscribe to the Word of the Day from dictionary.com. Thank you Jenn for showing me that a few years back, else how would I ever have known how to bivouac?

No comments: